One in four children in NSW are above a healthy weight and 80% of these children will be above a healthy weight as adults, however there’s a lot health professionals can do now to help children and families.
This session will provide health professionals with practical tools and resources to help accurately identify a children’s weight status, raising the issue in a variety of settings, manage and refer to programs and other clinicians in your local area.
The focus will be increasing your skills and confidence in sensitively raising the issue of healthy weight with families, the language to use and trying a variety of approaches to engage families.
Further information and resources can be found at the Healthy Kids for Professionals website pro.healthykids.nsw.gov.au.
Resources briefly covered and available on the website include:
• understand the health and social impacts of children above a healthy weight
• accurately assess a child’s weight status and identify children above a healthy weight
• sensitively discuss the issue of weight status with their families
• communicate key lifestyle messages sensitively to parents
• provide children and families with resources and practical support to make positive lifestyle changes
• refer children and families in your area to specialist services and programs.
This breakfast symposium is hosted by NSW Health
Speaker: Michael Talbot
30 minute Q&A discussion
Co-chair: Gudrun Schober
"Obesity- where do we go beyond lifestyle?"
Professor Carel Le Roux
Professor Steve Smith
Associate Professor Gary Leong
Professor John Dixon
Located offsite - Phonatic Restaurant
171 Hindley Street Adelaide 5000 SA
Located offsite - Adelaide Oval Function Room
War Memorial Dr, North Adelaide SA 5006